Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Couldn't Say It Better

You've heard me talk about it before.  Finally.  I've found someone who shares my fascination 
with the high prices of goods found in my African country. 

When husband Kurt and I decided to move to Africa, we got online to do a conversion calculator.    
We wanted to see just how cheap our new country would be.  We typed in the numbers.  
And typed them in again. And again.  Surely there must be some mistake. With a median yearly
income in the lower hundreds, there was no way a human being could live in this country 
with those costs.  We chalked it up to a severe glitch in the conversion system and started 
packing. 

A few months later we found ourselves stepping into our first grocery store on 
the continent and nearly choked.  Still today, we spend more on our monthly grocery bill here 
than on our previous organic only diet from NYC Wholefoods.  I haven't been able to 
articulate costs here well without a lot of neccessary access to the telling economic facts and 
figures that narrate my beautiful country's history.  All I have is anecdote after anecdote of 
stories I hope to someday share.  In the meantime, this perfect article explains it all, with facts 
and figures to boot.

Please do check it out:

The Shockingly High Prices of One of Africa's Most Impoverished Countries:

http://www.newrepublic.com/article/115925/zimbabwe-prices-why-are-they-high-new-york-citys