Saturday, September 29, 2012

Think Bovine...

More new-found Africa foods, continued...


Meet Bovril:  I had to steal this image from online because I couldn't bring myself to buy this food... Bovril is a salty, thick meat extract that tastes, well, how should I put it? ...Like gooey bullion in a salty syrup form.  Created in the 1870's, Bovril was first known as "Fluid Beef."  It can be made into a drink by adding hot water or milk.  It is also used for flavoring things like soups, and oatmeal.  Here in our country, though, it is most commonly spread on bread in a sandwich or on toast as a breakfast food.


As far as I can tell, Bovril is entirely of the English influence.  It is reminiscent of Vegemite in Australia and is well known for its bulbous-shaped jar.  I tasted Bovril on bread at a tea a few weeks ago, and got the after-taste out pretty much this morning.  Though I will admit it is much less jarring to this American than the medicinal taste of Vegemite, it was not eaten without a few goosebumps and a large glass of water.