Saturday, January 24, 2015

My Discomfort With the "Expatriate" Title, Explained


Though it is less about Africa specifically and more about being an American living abroad, I appreciated this recently written article by Ann Jones, pasted below. It is fascinating to feel the shifting waters on how those around the world view Americans, simply by listening to the questions foreigners ask when they learn one is American. As I now spend my last few days as an official expatriate (a term I admit gives me the heebie-jeebies in a number of weird ways) for a while, here are some questions I've heard oodles of times, and some questions I've often asked myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! Thanks for your comments! We love to learn from each other's thoughts, experiences, and encouragement! Please keep your comments positive and helpful so we can all benefit!