Sunday, November 9, 2014

Simple Silver

I'm not mad at Africa for many things, but I could have done without the loss of my husband's wedding ring.  It now sits under the waters of a lake just outside of the village of Ruwa in northeastern Zimbabwe. It was more of a sentimental loss than financial, as I quickly found out upon entering Zim that there is nothing foreigners love more than buying silver while in the country. Silver is remarkably cheap -startlingly cheap- in this part of the world, and many tourists love to jump on the opportunity to buy their loved ones shiny precious things during their visit to southern Africa.

My husband's original wedding ring, purchased while we were still in school, was no giant expenditure.  At only a few hundred dollars, we thought it was already an affordable piece of jewelry, given the fact that it was intended for all of eternity and whatnot.  Imagine my surprise when three year old Jonas and I went to pick out a new ring for our anniversary later that year and found out that, despite buying one of a higher quality, the ring just cost us... thirteen dollars!  Shh, please don't tell my husband.  They weren't kidding.  Cheap, cheap silver...