Sunday, March 9, 2014

Meeting Mana Pools


I am way overdue.  And I suppose I should have started by introducing you to Mana Pools first.  But if you have read my previous three posts on our recent trip to Mana Pools, you know that I could not wait to share our anything-but-perfect experience with this UNESCO World Heritage Site.  Though I have little longing to return in the near future, this wildlife sanctuary in northern Zimbabwe is certainly a picturesque retreat for the adventurous.  This remote piece of wilderness sits as a hard-to-access home of a billion bugs and a billion beautiful things to see. Now that I'm done complaining about our disastrously funny trip, here is some info on an incredibly wild beauty found along the banks of the Zambezi River.


The interest of animals takes precedence for most visitors to Mana Pools.  I was blown away by the scenery, however, enjoying view after view of colorful brilliance in an intense sunshine only those in southern Africa can truly understand.  (When I need a happy thought in the future, I will for sure think of our sunny moments on the banks of the Zambezi.) The Zambezi Valley sits as a western extension of the Great Rift Valley, a huge geological fault that extends down the continent of Africa.  Mana Pools covers a significant section of the Middle Zambezi Valley, extending from the Zambezi River in the north to the escarpment in the south.  In layman's terms, there are mountains and bright blue waterways everywhere.


"Mana" meaning "four" in Shona, refers to the four large and permanent lakes ("pools" refilled yearly during the rainy season) that mark former courses of the Zambezi.  As one drives into the park, mopane and dry jesse forests:


suddenly give way to woodlands of acacia, fig trees, and mahogany: 


The change in vegetation marks the southern edge of old river terraces made by a meandering Zambezi River over thousands of years.  These waters and vegetation are the perfect combination to provide homes and food for the plentiful and diverse wildlife found in the area.   


Large numbers of crocodile and hippos can be found in the waters, and acacia loving animals like elephant, buffalo, and eland all add to giant herds of a variety of antelope and numerous packs of predators.

 

Above hyena lay in the shade near a herd of impala.

 
 


There is no getting away from animals in Mana.  Here an elephant wanders over to help husband Kurt look under the hood.


Editor I am not.  If only you knew how many pictures I chose not to post… but still I always have too many!  I keep thinking that when the day comes that I choose not to take pictures of the incredible -surreal- wildlife I see, it will mean I have been too spoiled by Africa and don't appreciate it enough anymore.  And I dread the day that should ever, ever happen.